I love viewing the various lists of “best books” for a year. I invariably find a new author or two to add to my reading list. The Left Coast Crime Awards are fan awards chosen by registered members of the Left Coast Crime convention.
The nominations for awards are made by people registered for that convention and also the immediately prior convention.
The Left Coast Crime Awards were established because the West Coast wanted a convention where readers and authors could get together every year. The convention began in 1996 in San Francisco. Since that time it has primarily moved up and down the Pacific Coast and around the western states. It was held on the left coast of Great Britain and on the left coast of Hawaii.
The 27th annual Left Coast Crime convention, entitled “Honolulu Havoc” will be held in Honolulu, Hawaii, March 16-29, 2017. The awards will be voted on by the attendees at the convention and presented at a banquet on Saturday, March 18, at the Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort.
Faye Kellerman and Jonathan Kellerman will be honored with Left Coast Crime Lifetime Achievement Award. Guests of Honor are Dana Stabenow (American Guest of Honor) and Colin Cotterill (International Guest of Honor). Laurie R. King will serve as Toastmaster.
Winners indicated by **
Lefty for Best Humorous Mystery Novel
- Donna Andrews, Die Like an Eagle (Minotaur Books)
- Ellen Byron, Body on the Bayou (Crooked Lane Books) **
- Timothy Hallinan, Fields Where They Lay (Soho Crime)
- Heather Haven, The CEO Came DOA (Wives of Bath Press)
- Johnny Shaw, Floodgate (Thomas & Mercer)
- Diane Vallere, A Disguise To Die For (Berkley Prime Crime)
Lefty for Best Historical Mystery Novel (Bruce Alexander Memorial) for books covering events before 1960.
- Rhys Bowen, Crowned and Dangerous (Berkley Prime Crime)
- Susanna Calkins, A Death Along the River Fleet (Minotaur Books)
- Laurie R. King, The Murder of Mary Russell (Bantam Books)
- Catriona McPherson, The Reek of Red Herrings (Minotaur Books) **
- Ann Parker, What Gold Buys (Poisoned Pen Press)
Lefty for Best Debut Mystery Novel
- Sarah M. Chen, Cleaning Up Finn (All Due Respect Books)
- Marla Cooper, Terror in Taffeta (Minotaur Books)
- Alexia Gordon, Murder in G Major (Henery Press) **
- Nadine Nettmann, Decanting a Murder (Midnight Ink)
- Renee Patrick, Design for Dying (Forge)
Lefty for Best Mystery Novel (not in other categories)
- Matt Coyle, Dark Fissures (Oceanview Publishing)
- Gigi Pandian, Michelangelo’s Ghost (Henery Press)
- Louise Penny, A Great Reckoning (Minotaur Books) **
- Terry Shames, The Necessary Murder of Nonie Blake (Seventh Street Books)
- James W. Ziskin, Heart of Stone (Seventh Street Books)